1) Take a full day rafting trip down the mighty Hudson River. www.northcreekrafting.com. Paddle and drift through virgin forest, see The Gorge, Blue Ledges and more.. Not up for all that action? Try a float trip on the Sacandaga River over in Lake Luzerne (west of Lake George) or choose your choice of flotation (kayak, canoe, etc) and use Beaver Brook Outfitter’s shuttle service to transport you.
2) Visit The Adirondack Experience (Museum) It is a vast campus of 23 buildings including a truly rustic hotel, a luxurious private rail car, exhibits on logging, mining and local crafts. It is a “must see”, rain or shine, as it is located in a very picturesque location overlooking Blue Mountain Lake. While you are in the “neighborhood” Take a tour of the Great Camp Sagamore, a vintage Great Camp and National Historic Landmark built by Alfred Vanderbuilt. Gloria Vanderblt spent childhood summers here as Carole Lombard and other Hollywood stars of the era played tennis and strolled along the lakeshore. Tour scenic Raquette Lake while having lunch on the WW Durant www.raquettelakenavigation.com. Captain Pohl, offers a fascinating commentary on the history of the lake it’s Great Camps and other points of interest.
3) Take a hike up Crane Mountain– or choose another of the many peaks close by www.adirondacks.com. Crane has a spectacular view, but it also has a pond 2/3 of the way up- a fantastic destination itself. Beyond the pond is a steep climb up the summit. Treat yourself to a picnic lunch from Izzy’s or Cafe Sarah to eat at the top!
4) Take a ride on the rails with Revolution Rail! Make a reservation for your own 2-person or 4-person rail bike. Enjoy a 6.4 mile scenic round trip along the historic Delaware Hudson Railway right next to the majestic Hudson River. Easy pedaling for any age. A local gem is the North Creek Depot Museum at the train station. *You get 10% off your room rate when you book directly with the lodge and are doing a Rev Rail tour!
5) Take a bike ride. There are numerous fabulous bike routes from right here- for either a mountain bike or a road bike. The mountain biking trails at the Ski Bowl are stellar, as are the trails at Garnet Hill, and the Hub in Brant Lake. The road riding around the lakes in this area is work-class.
6) Hire a guide to take you for a hike or a special local fishing spot. Let us arrange a local Naturalist/Licensed guide to take you on a personalized back country hike for a once in a lifetime experience! Or learn to fly-fish with a pro in a unique picturesque water location personally planned for your level of experience and enthusiasm. See the area from the local point of view. www.adirondackmountainandstream.com, www.rustichomestead.com
7) Lake George is a most beautiful lake. The drive (or hike!) up Prospect Mountain is really nice. There are several boat tours of Lake George (varying lengths) emanating from Lake George Village. Lake George Village is pretty, but very “touristy”, Italian restaurants, t-shirt shops, miniature golf, etc; we prefer Bolton Landing (due east from The Lodge) its a picturesque town with a lot of nice shops and dining …. For shoppers, there are many outlets just south of Lake George on Route 9 south. Fireworks in Lake George Village on Thursday nights.
8) Go Golfing! There are numerous golf courses in the area that range from very “local” courses . www.croninsgolfresort.com, www.greenmansionsgolf.com, to the famed Donald Ross course at The Sagamore www.thesagamore.com
9) Just take a drive… Take the day to enjoy a scenic summer drive with a day trip to Lake Placid. www.lakeplacid.comWindow shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, go to the top of the ski jumps, take the lift up Whiteface or drive up Whiteface Memorial Highway, save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley on the way home… or drive over to Brant Lake via Route 8 (make sure you go around the backside-Palisades Road) and drive over the mountain to Hague and back down Rt 9N to Bolton Landing. Stretch your legs and check out the nice shops or get a drink or dinner at any of the nice restaurants along Main Street in Bolton Landing- go sit at the park and enjoy the magnificent view of Lake George. Another great destination is to see for yourself what a strategic location Fort Ticonderoga www.fort-ticonderoga.org was in the French and Indian war and what a magnificent view the soldiers had from the ramparts! The scenic drive between Lake George Village and Ticonderoga is really nice too…..
10) Stay right here! Relax with a massage and a nap– either have a licensed massage therapist come right to your room or check out the Oasis Spa (above Café Sarah, advance reservations, please!) Spend the rest of the day lounging here on your room’s back porch or the back lawn. Enjoy lunch at numerous downtown eateries, and some local shopping. Some our favorite stops include the Hudson River Trading Co. (furniture and gifts) and The Rustic Homestead (chandeliers) and Foothills Antiques & Collectibles. Take a walk right here- out the front door- its quiet and beautiful- Check out walking along the train tracks or over at the ski bowl. In nearby Chestertown (via Route 8 E ), check out Rustic Designs and Miss Hestors above Main St Ice Cream (also in Chestertown) . A personal favorite of mine is the Riverside Gallery in Warrensburg.
11) Foodies and Breweries! Take note: in addition to some excellent eclectic dining options in the area, check out Oscar’s Smokehouse our local smokehouse in Warrensburg, NY which is also home to Jacob & Toney’s Famous Meat Store of the North. There are Maple Sugar Farms surrounding North Creek as well as Nettle Meadow Farm with amazing cheeses to try! Turn your whole day into a tour of the local breweries, wineries and farms. Some of our recommendations are Paradox Brewery, Bolton Landing Brewery, Adirondack Pub and Brewery, Adirondack Winery, Raquette River Brewing, Commons Roots and Davidson Brothers.
12) Check out the activities at Gore Mountain and take a scenic gondola or high speed quad sky ride to the top and admire the view! This is especially spectacular during the fall foliage season. Remember, we offer amazing packages that include your sky ride tickets, Alpine Lodge water bottles and much more!
13) Lay in the sun and one of the many surrounding local beaches! Minerva Beach has been a fantastic gathering spot for families from all over the world with large playgrounds for the kids, lifeguards on duty every day during the summer, a snack stand with good food, ice cream, candy and refreshing beverages, a beautiful lake with walking trails around it, grills for public use and it is also a great fishing spot! Schroon Lake Beach is beautiful and is a cute village for taking a stroll with delicious lunch options. Lake George has numerous beaches for relaxing in the sunshine followed by fantastic options for dining, drinking, live music and fun!