From our cozy Alpine Lodge, winter beckons promising the best Adirondack family vacation ever! Gore Mountain ski center is just a short driveaway… you’ll find every type of activity for the frosty season, from downhill and cross country skiing and snowboarding, to showshoing, to horseback riding, and snowmobiling! If you’re looking for family winter resorts that offer it all, Adirondacks lodging at Alpine Lodge in North Creek lets you ski and stay, relax and renew!
1) Check out the improvements at Gore Mountain! From their complete update to the snowmaking system to “green” improvements with solar panels, Gore Mountain has been rated one of the best family friendly ski mountains in the country. The diverse terrain combined with lesson options, ski and stay packages and more make it the ideal mountain for all day (or week) fun! Hop on the Pipeline that connects Burnt Ridge Mountain to the North Creek Ski bowl and grab the shuttle back “home” to your warm accommodations at the lodge!
2) Take a Winter Safari- hire local guide/Naturalist for a snowshoe or cross-country ski into terrain known only to locals. A really special experience not to be missed, giving you the opportunity to see parks of the Adirondack Mountains that are off the beaten path, while learning about outdoor sports and activities.
3) Take a day trip up to Lake Placid. It’s a beautiful one-hour drive north. Window shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, go to the top of the ski jumps and watch the ski jumpers or aerial freestyle skiers practice or compete. Check out the luge or bobsledding and even take a bobsled ride yourself. Save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley on the way home.
4) Big into Brews?! Begin a mini brewery tour at Paradox Brewery, located just 25 minutes from the Alpine Lodge in Schroon Lake, NY where you must taste their Beaver Bite IPA! Then take a nice, scenic drive over to Bolton Landing Brewery for another approach to amazing local brews. Then round out your miniature beer tour with a stop at Adirondack Pub & Brewery in Lake George, NY! As always, make sure you have a designated brew tour driver and stay safe!
5) Who doesn’t love a good Carnival. And by carnival, we mean Adirondack Mountain style complete with ice beer fountains, live music, fireworks, hot chocolate bars, polar plunges and more! Winter Carnival in Lake George, NY is always an amazing four weekend long event that is sure to provide the utmost in entertainment and fun! Book your stay at the Alpine Lodge, just 20 minutes north of Lake George, NY for this awesome event!
6) Try snowshoeing at Garnet Hill, Natural Stone Bridge Park, or Gore Mountain – its quiet, so much as you can hear when snow drops from a lingering branch in the woods…. and beautiful – you’ll be delightfully surprised at the unique winter experience!
7) Cross-country ski at our local, nationally ranked cross-country ski area Garnet Hill or at the North Creek Ski Bowl. Don’t forget to stop into Garnet Hill’s pub afterwards where on Friday’s they have happy hour in the evening beside the raging fire or on Sunday’s when they put out their amazing Bloody Mary bar spread! There are a number of other cross-country ski options; the Warrensburg Trails along the river and the Caroline Fish Trail System in Chestertown are also great options!
8) Winter horseback riding or engage a “one-horse open sleigh” and go over hill and dale at The Circle B Ranch in nearby Chestertown. Main Street Ice Cream Parlor is the place to stop for lunch (or just pie and ice cream!) afterwards. Stop by the Crossroads Country Store for any last minute outdoor items you may need. They have everything – snacks, hiking equipment, clothing, beer, sunscreen and more!
9) Experience the rush of snowmobiling at C&C Adirondack Snowmobile Tours over frozen Loon Lake or in the winter wonderland of the Adirondack woods. Dig into the fluffy powder for an exhilarating day of fun!
10) Get a massage and take a nap. Have a licensed massage therapist come right to your room or enjoy “The Oasis” a spa right next door! Enjoy a massage followed by a nap. Spend the rest of the day having lunch, dinner, or libations at one of the many great options here in town. Check out our shopping here in town-Adirondack rustic furniture, housewares & gifts at Hudson River Trading Co. and a nice selection of collectibles/antiques at Foothills. Keep an eye out for the bald eagle often seen looping out over Main Street and the River!
Contact us to reserve your Adirondack accommodations for your next Adirondack family vacation!